12 Healthy Toppings to add to your GO-LO Flakes Cereal
A bowl of GO-LO Flakes cereal is a great way to start your day. Breakfast is usually the most hectic meal of the day – and the meal that’s most easily forgotten about when you’re in a rush. For years, we’ve been told to avoid skipping breakfast, and cereal is often the perfect solution because it requires zero cooking or preparation.
The key to keeping your breakfast light is moderation, which is why a single serving of any of these additions is all that you really need. Here are a few ways to spice up your morning cereal:
1) Maple Syrup: A classic breakfast staple, maple syrup is another quick way to add a kick of sweetness to any cereal without additional prep. One and a half tablespoons of maple syrup will run you around 70 calories and 17g of sugar – this is a great alternative for those who enjoy a sweet cereal without resorting to sugar-laden options.
2) Pineapple: This might sound exotic, but cubed pieces of pineapple in your GO-LO flakes could really add a light sweetness overall. A whole cup of pineapple chunks amounts to 82 calories and 16g of sugar.
3) Dark Chocolate Chips: Chocolate and cereal are a classic matchup, and dark chocolate is a great way to add sweetness to a cereal without overindulging. About a quarter of a cup of dark chocolate chips, certainly enough to sprinkle throughout the bowl, adds around 70 calories and 6g of sugar.
4) Blueberries: Whether you drop them in your cereal bowl or eat them on their own in a side dish, this addition is a smart one given that a whole cup of blueberries will only cost you 84 calories and 15g of sugar.
5) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Who doesn’t love chocolate-filled cereal? Turn on some cartoons and you’ll be transported back to childhood. The best part? A tablespoon of this potent game-changer clocks in at only 12 calories and 3g of carbohydrates.
6) Cinnamon: Talk about spicing it up! Cinnamon is such an easy way to add warm notes to cereals with just a few flicks of your wrist. A teaspoon is powerful enough to change the taste of your GO-LO Flakes cereal, and it’ll only cost you 6 calories and 2g of carbs.
7) Bananas: Bananas are a delicious and nutritious addition at only 134 calories and 18g of sugar per cup. They’re also a great source of fiber, Vitamin C, potassium and manganese.
8) Raisins: A small handful of raisins can definitely add a hearty sweetness to your cereal that you might regularly consume. Each handful adds up to 65 calories and 12g of sugar.
9) Strawberries: Another quick, easy addition that you can keep stocked in your fridge are strawberries. These red berries are rich in fiber and key vitamins, and a whole cup has only 53 calories and 8g of sugar.
10) Vanilla Extract: Some cereal fanatics might be looking for a way to transform the flavour of the milk, without resorting to a caloric pitfall. A dash of vanilla extract will add instant richness to your milk.
11) Coconut Flakes: Dried fruit is a great option to switch up how you eat your cereal, and dried coconut flakes add a flavour punch that complements many cereals. A whole cup of coconut flakes comes in at 340 calories and around 30g of carbohydrates.
12) Yogurt: If you’re looking for something with a different consistency to eat alongside your dry cereal, you could substitute your go-to milk with yogurt. A cup of plain yogurt alongside your dry cereal is just 138 calories and 11g of sugar.